Isleworth has been a settlement since Saxon times. In the Middle Ages, it was the site of a magnificent Abbey of the Bridgettine Order. After the Reformation, Shrewsbury House was the location for one of the earliest Catholic missions in the south of England. For a fuller discussion of its story, follow the link above.
The present church was opened in 1909. Its architectural style is from the Italian Renaissance. The interior was recently completely redecorated to celebrate the Millennium.
The Isleworth Catholic community today is marked by its diversity. Between twenty and thirty countries of origin are represented, though the majority of our people come from England, Ireland and Scotland. Our homes are in Victorian terraced streets and villas, semi-detached houses from the 1920s and 30s, and post-war apartments; some are in high rise blocks and modern neo-Georgian developments. Most of our young children go to school at St. Mary's Junior, Infants and Nursery School. Older students go to Gumley House, Gunnersbury and St. Mark's Schools. Our sick and elderly are cared for in West Middlesex Hospital and in several residential homes. Some of us work in London, some at Heathrow Airport and others locally in commerce, transport and public services.
Most of the community lives within the geographical boundaries of the parish but some travel in from neighbouring areas. We have a reputation for being welcoming and inclusive. Our style is informal. There are about 500 regular churchgoers at St Bridget's.
The Sisters, Faithful Companions of Jesus have maintained a convent in Isleworth at Gumley House since 1841. They are active in many spheres including the schools but also make a major contribution to parish life.